Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Currently Watching: Secret Origins: The Story of DC Comics


Title: Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics (IMDB, Amazon)

This is a documentary that covers the story and history of DC Comics. It takes you from the beginnings of the company to the Golden Age through the Silver, Bronze, and Modern Ages and is narrated by the new Green Lantern Ryan Reynolds.

I’m only about an hour or so into this documentary and while it started out great, I must admit that I am disappointed with how it have handled covering the Modern Age of comics. So far (and I as this because this is basically where I had to stop watching before going to work yesterday) there has been no mention at all of the series Crisis on Infinite Earths. I would argue that COIE is one of the most important series of the Modern Age and honestly if you truly want to understand The Dark Knight Returns (a series that was covered) you need to the context from which it was born. To understand anything that happened in DC Comics after 1985, one needs to know COIE.

Other than that the documentary is enjoyable and I’m looking forward to seeing the ending. If you are new to comics then this is a pretty good place to start.

No comments: