Friday, January 28, 2011

Randy Can’t Catch a Break

State Rep. Randy Terrill has been in the news a lot this week with the investigation into alleged corruption charges. If the charges are true, then he brought this all on himself. I suspect that he is guilty of playing politics as usual and is no more or less corrupt than the vast majority of our state’s Congress.

Where this man can’t catch a break is the really bad pictures that keep getting used in stories. First you have this one (see picture on the right) from a story on NewsOK.com. Talk about unflattering.

But that’s not even the worst of it.


Take a gander at the cover of this week’s Oklahoma Gazette (see picture on the left). All I can say is yikes! What a horrible picture! It makes me feel bad for the guy.

I don’t know Randy Terrill from Adam. Yes I have been critical of his policy choices in the past and I have never voted for him, but I must admit that my opinion towards the name began to shift after I saw him at my kids’ school. It turns out that Randy and I are practically neighbors and seeing him at the school, with his family, brings everything much closer to home. I have some empathy for the man, even if he seems to represent much of what I completely disagree with. I have yet to get up the nerve to introduce myself to him, but I figure it’s not cool to bother the man when he is taking his kids to school (the idea of asking him policy questions in the school’s lobby just seems a little crass to me—the man does have a right to a private life after all).

Will I vote for Mr. Terrill in 2012? No. In fact I have toyed with the idea of running against him as an independent just to give the voters in District 53 a choice (knowing full well that I have a snowball’s chance of winning mind you). The fact is Rep. Terrill will continue to win reelection until he is proven guilty of corruption or until he is term limited out of office. He is a Republican and often that is all it takes. This isn’t a slight, just a simple observation of the voting patterns in this and the adjourning district.

No comments: