Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Death of the Oklahoma Democrat

Jen at Are You There God? It’s Me Generation X has an excellent post on the apparent death of the Democratic Party in Oklahoma entitled Are Democrats an alien, dying brand in Oklahoma?.

Money Quote –
Gaddie says Democrats are an "alien, dying breed in Oklahoma." That's enough to depress the most conservative Democrat, but the fact that one-third of the people in this state actually believe Obama is a Muslim makes me wish I lived someplace else.

For all of the great things Oklahoma has going for it, and especially Oklahoma City, at some point, these uninformed positions, which lean toward total bigotry, are going to rise up and bite this state right in the ass. Eventually, Oklahoma City will lose a major gig to another city because some study characterizes us as bigoted and backward. When this happens, look for a public relations campaign on behalf of Oklahoma that features every liberal stereotype you can imagine. How disingenuous.

2 comments:

Man of the West said...

Dave, Democrats have no one but themselves to blame. For since-for-freaking-ever, Oklahoma was a Democratic stronghold. Even now, if I'm not mistaken, there are actually more registered Democrats than Republicans here. If they're not voting Democrat anymore, it's largely because the Democratic party has lurched so far to the Left that what were mainstream Democrats no longer recognize it.

I had a conversation with a church member once, a lady who was in her mid-eighties at the time. She'd been a registered Democrat all her life, but told me that she hadn't actually voted for a Democrat for president in fifty years. Think about that. She had no problem with the likes of FDR, but today's Democrats were too much for her to stomach. There's the Democrats' problem.

If you want Oklahomans to vote Democrat again, you've got to wrench control of the party away from the likes of Obama, Reid, and Pelosi.

Dave said...

I’m not a Democrat, so complaining about the sad state of affairs of that Oklahoma Democratic Party wasn’t the post of the post. I don’t want Oklahoman’s to simple vote Democratic because that would be…well frankly as dumb as just voting Republican. I want people to vote for the best candidates. Sadly though too many times a lot of voters just don’t see passed the R or D next to a candidates name.

Mostly I did this post because I thought Jen’s original post was quite good (like nearly all of her posts are) and I especially liked the section that I quoted. Since I am an Independent (and possibly a member of the Green Party) I’m not concerned with how well the Democrats do vs. how well the Republicans do. I just want good and descent people elected who are concerned with performing the business of the state effectively, efficiently, and for the betterment of the people of the Oklahoma and not a political party or special interest group. Sadly I just don’t foresee that happening anytime soon.