Monday, November 22, 2010

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1


Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Official, IMDB, Wikipedia)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and is one of the few books that I have read more than once and while the beginning is slow, then ending is phenomenal, so needless to say I have been excited about the final two films in the series (and I am extremely thankful that they decided to break this one up into two movies).

First off, I thought the film was excellent. Yes there were things that were cut and changed and condensed, but the spirit of the first half of the book was kept in tact. For the most part the film included the elements and characters from the book that I wanted it to and honestly I have no complaints, I’m not sure if those who saw the film but hadn’t read the book will enjoy it as much though.

Secondly, the film did a great job in the ending, something that I wasn’t sure how they would pull off. But both of the times I saw it this weekend, when the picture went to black after the final scene, you could hear the gasps throughout the theater. Needless to say, the movie gets your right to that point and then leaves you hanging. It was a brilliant move IMHO.

What I’m hoping to see in Part 2 is more of the Beedle’s tales (the telling of the Three Brothers was one of my favorite scenes in Part 1), the wandlore discussions, the battles, and the scenes with Snape. I am going to be very sad to see this series end but I’m looking forward to seeing it happen.

No comments: