Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Currently Watching: Capitalism: A Love Story


Title: Capitalism: A Love Story (Official, IMDB, Amazon, Wikipedia)

Up to this point I have never seen any of Michael Moore’s films and honestly until I heard him in an interview on NPR around the time that this movie came out, I thought very little of the man. In that interview though he came off as thoughtful and intelligent and much less the polemic than I took him for and then very good friend recommended that I check out Capitalism: A Love Story. Like I, he didn’t have a very high opinion of Michael Moore but that changed after he watched this film. So I picked it up at the library yesterday and I am probably about halfway through it at this point. So far Moore has made some very convincing arguments and showcased some extremely disgusting situations.

Since I’m not done watching the film I really can’t pass a final judgment on it, but it seems to me that Moore is blaming these atrocities on the system itself instead of those individuals and companies in the system. As I’ve said in the past, the problem with capitalism isn’t capitalism but the capitalists. More to the point though, the system that we are currently living in isn’t capitalism, it is corporatism. Corporations rule this country. They have bought and paid their way into both of the major political parties and own most politicians. I’m not sure at what point we devolved from capitalism to corporatism but I hope and pray that we can find our way back.

2 comments:

me said...

i missed out on why so many people developed disdain for Moore. i saw this movie and thought he was very rational and even funny. i posted on FB once that I was watching this movie, and somebody bar the door. a torrent of venom was unleashed. conservatives do not like this guy. seriously. some of them had never watched any of his films and they had literally loathed him. anyway, i really liked this movie. it reinforced so many things i already believed. oh, one thing i wrote on my FB was that Moore was a Christian. people were out and out right telling me he wasn't. i found that incredulous. i would describe him as someone very serious about his faith, but what do i know. =)

Man of the West said...

More to the point though, the system that we are currently living in isn’t capitalism, it is corporatism. Corporations rule this country. They have bought and paid their way into both of the major political parties and own most politicians.

Ah, you have penetrated to the heart of the problem.

There is nothing wrong with capitalism. It is not even, really, a system. It is simply what arises when people have legally enforceable property rights and liberty. When some entities--corporations or whatever--have the money to buy influence, legislative favors, and so forth, and some politicians are willing to sell such things, what you have left is not really capitalism anymore. Foolish to blame capitalism for what is really legislative abuse.