Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Show Review: The Thermals at Opolis

Artists: The Thermals (Official, MySpace, Wikipedia) with The Coathangers (Official, MySpace)
Venue: Opolis (Official, MySpace, Facebook)
Date: Monday October 25th

Last night I finally got a chance to see a show at the Opolis in Norman and on top of that I finally got to see one of my favorite bands play, The Thermals.

First I’ll start with the venue. The Opolis is a small room that looks like a garage with a front door, small bar, and bathrooms. I’m not saying this is to degrade the venue at all because it was great, the sound was really good, the setting intimate, the staff was very nice, and the place was very clean. Needless to say I was impressed with the venue.

The opening band, The Coathangers, are an all girl garage noise punk band that were…honestly not very good.

The Thermals then took the stage and ripped through a hugely energetic set that included most of the songs that I wanted to hear. The band has an amazing stage presence and all three members did a fantastic job in working up the crowd. The show ended with the band doing a blistering rendition of their classic “A Pillar of Salt” after which the band let the stage only to be brought back out by chants of “one more song” for which the obliged by launching into a stellar cover of Weezer’s “My Name is Jonas.”

Overall it was a great show and a fun night.

No comments: