Wednesday, October 27, 2010

10 for 2010: The Hudson Falcons

The Hudson Falcons are a working class rock ‘n’ roll band from New Jersey that play a high energy mix of rock and punk (I’ve often described the band’s music as Bruce Springsteen meets Stiff Little Fingers). I first saw the Falcons back in 1999 in the back room at Music Dimensions. That show included The GC5, The Doozers, and the Roustabouts and was one of the best that I have ever seen. Ever since that night I have seen the Falcons nearly every time they have been back to OKC. In the past 11 years I have not only been lucky enough to enjoy this bands fantastic music and watch their growth, I have also had the distinct honor and pleasure of getting to know Mark and Kerri and to be able to call them friend.

For more information on this fantastic band check the Falcons online at their official site, MySpace, Facebook, Last.fm, Yahoo Music.

Without any further ado and in no particular order, here are, IMHO, the 10 best songs by The Hudson Falcons.

1. “Free Lori” (from Desperation & Revolution)
2. “Jersey City Streets” (from La Famiglia)
3. “Disciples of Soul” (from Those Whose Hearts and Souls are True)
4. “Drinkin’ with the Band” (from Desire to Burn)
5. “Monahan’s” (from Desperation & Revolution)
6. “Latin Knights” (from La Famiglia)
7. “Jersey City” (from Desperation & Revolution)
8. “Different Breed” (from Those Whose Hearts and Souls are True)
9. “Little Bit of Faith” (from La Famiglia)
10. “Worker Fate” (from Desperation & Revolution)

And just to clarify I have only selected songs from the band’s four full length albums. They have released numerous singles, 7 inches, split CDs, and appeared on many compilations over the years and sadly I just don’t have any of them anymore (or if I do I don’t know where they are). You honestly can’t go wrong with ANY Falcons’ release so I HIGHLY suggest that you get any or all that you can find.

The Hudson Falcons have also been known for doing some great covers over the years. Here are a few of my favorites.
“Stay with Me” (from Those Whose Hearts and Souls are True)
“Baby, I’m a King” (from Singles Collection 1997-2002)
“Johnny Law” (from Those Whose Hearts and Souls are True)
“Knock Yourself Out” (from 4 Bands from Jersey)*
“Open All Night” (from Those Whose Hearts and Souls are True)

* If anyone out there has a copy of the 4 Bands from Jersey compilation CD and would be willing to hook me up with a few tracks from it, please let me know.

No comments: