Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Current Rotating Top 20

Anyone who’s read this blog for any length of time (you poor souls you) has noticed that I like lists. I like writing lists and I like reading lists. They are just plain fun. Also, anyone who’s read this blog for any length of time knows that I love music. I love to listen to it, read about it, and write about it. Hell I think that it is safe to say that I am a fairly obsessive music nerd.

Well it just so happens that these are two great tastes that taste even better together! So with my obsessive nature I am often, sadly in a way, thinking about who I would consider my favorite bands. I’ve done quite a few posts on this topic but the one that was probably the best was My Rotating Top 20. In that post I pretty well laid out what have generally become my favorite bands. Well since that time I’ve started to chance the way I think about bands a bit. For one thing I have come to think of certain bands and their side-projects as what I like to call families. In these cases I tend to think of all of the bands as part of one larger unit (the best example of this is in the case of ALL and all of their related bands). So now when I put together a list of my favorite bands, I literally think of a family of bands as one unit. Not all of my favorite bands fall into this type of situation but quite a few do.

So without any further ado, here is my latest incarnation of my Top 20 Favorite Bands.
  1. The ALL Family (Descendents, ALL, TonyALL, Down By Law, Goodbye Harry, Drag the River, The Pavers, Stephen Egerton)
  2. U2
  3. R.E.M.
  4. The Dropkick Murphys Family (Dropkick Murphys, Street Dogs)
  5. 7 Seconds
  6. Dag Nasty *
  7. The Swingin’ Utters Family (Swingin’ Utters, Filthy Thieving Bastards, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes, Re-Volts, Druglords of the Avenues)
  8. The Replacements
  9. Buffalo Tom
  10. The One Man Army Family (One Man Army, Dead To Me) **
  11. Ben Lee
  12. The Thermals
  13. The Jenny Lewis Family (Jenny Lewis, Rilo Kiley)
  14. Hagfish
  15. The Falcons Family (Hudson Falcons, The GC5, The Staggers) ***
  16. The Methadones Family (The Methadones, The Riverdales, Screeching Weasel) ****
  17. Roustabouts
  18. Sinkhole
  19. Big Drill Car
  20. The Red Scare Family (Teenage Bottlerocket, The Copyrights) *****

* I nearly included Dag Nasty in the ALL Family because of their close ties but in the end I don’t think of them as part of the ALL Family so I left them separate.
** I nearly included OMA & DTM inb the Swingin’ Utters family but like with Dag Nasty, I really think of them as a separate unit.
*** While these bands aren’t really related, they were some of the first that I ever though of as a family.
**** This isn’t called the Screeching Wease Family because I truly think that The Methadones were a much better band.
***** These bands aren’t related other than they both have been on Red Scare Records. That having been said, I think of them as one unit.

No comments: