Monday, September 27, 2010

Movie Review: Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole


Title: Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole (Official, IMDB, Wikipedia)

I hadn’t actually planned on seeing this film but then I saw The Moviefone Blog post Family Film Guide: 'Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole'. The post peeked my interest enough that when the opportunity arose to take my son to the film yesterday I jumped at it and I’m glad that I did. Most reviews that I have seen about this film have described it as “Lord of the Rings with owls” and while that is a fair comparison, this film is more of a classic hero’s journey tale than a aping (or would that be owling) of Tolkien’s classic—that’s one of the things that I liked about the Moviefone post, at the end it suggested three other hero’s journey films.

This film is based on the Guardians of G’Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky, which I have not read but am now planning on checking out. The plot of the film is, as mentioned before, that of the traditional hero’s journey. A young owl is captured, taken from his home, and forced to confront a great evil. Yes this type of story has been done, probably thousands of times, but I still love it nonetheless. I am a sucker for a good hero’s journey tale and Legends of the Guardians is certainly one that qualifies. Also, the 3D in this film was better than many that have been released in recent memory.

If you are a fan of epic fantasy adventures, then I suggest you give Legends of the Guardians a shot. While it’s not the best epic fantasy ever produced, it is far from the worst (I’d put it in the top half of epic fantasy films; in other words it is much, MUCH better than Eragon but not as good as the LOTRs or the Narnia films).

No comments: