Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Meeting Your Favorite Band isn’t Always a Fun Experience

I’ve been lucky in that I’ve gotten to meet and get to know some of my favorite bands over the years. Come to think of it, the only bad experience I had meeting a band was when I attempted to interview The Vandals but that is a tale for another time. I’ve met bands that I consider my heroes and I’ve met bands that I barely know but generally they have all be cool. That isn’t always the case though.

For example, John Rzeznik from the Goo Goo Dolls had a nasty little run-in with Sting --
As for the pains in the ass, one rocker stands out. "I met Sting once and I didn't know what to say to the guy, so I said, 'I really love your band. You guys were a huge influence on us musically,'" Rzeznik recalls. "And he looked at me and said, 'Don't blame me.' I was like, 'Wow, you're a real d---.'"

Luckily Rzeznik learned from the encounter.

As disappointing as that encounter may have been, Rzeznik learned from it. "I talk to young bands all the time and I get guys' CDs all the time. They want to talk about what to do in the music business. I love taking the time to talk to them and to impart whatever knowledge I have, my experience to them," he says. "You don't want to be that guy."

I’ve never met the Goo Goo Dolls but they have always seemed to be good guys to me based on the interviews that I have seen and read. It’s nice though to see someone who can legitimately be called a rock star being a nice guy.

No comments: