Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Giving People the Chance to Change

Recently at work my boss has stopped being a d-bag. It seems he had some type of revelation while out having surgery and ever since then his attitude and the way he has treated people have improved ten fold. And for that I give the man nothing but credit, but there are others who still bust his chops on a daily basis and that just doesn’t seem right to me. When someone is honestly trying to change, like I think my boss is, people should give him/her the chance to do it. Changing is not easy to do and the last thing someone needs is to be continuously given crap when he/she is trying to improve him/herself.

But my boss isn’t the only one. We have a new site director at work and he is trying to change the culture of the business to be less of a meat grinder and more of a place that actually develops people. This is extremely admirable and desperately needed, but I have a feeling that a lot of people aren’t going to give it a chance to work. Now changing a culture in a business is even harder than change for an individual but it can be done and I’m not so far gone down jaded avenue that I refuse to give the people involved a chance to change. Obviously I’m skeptical, but when I see people actually trying to be nicer and I see the environment itself relax a bit, I’m going to do what I can to help encourage the change to work. I still have issues with the company and think that it runs a very unethical business model, but the people here are trying to make a difference and I think that they deserve the chance to make it work.

No comments: