Thursday, July 29, 2010

Why are There Three?

The US government has three major intelligence agencies – the FBI, CIA, and NSA. My question is why? It seems to me that these agencies all do, essentially, the same job so why do we need three of them?

Now to be fair, just about everything I know about the espionage business comes from watching Alias, so maybe there is a reason for the redundancy. I was thinking that if the agencies were consolidated into one, you could eliminate a lot of overlapping duties and by default that should, in theory at least, improve communication in the intelligence world. And by the overlapping duties, I was thinking more of the high level management positions and not the actual agents on the ground.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Otter Limits said...

I agree.

I think it should be made a priority to consolidate these agencies into one intelligence agency. There is no need for this redundancy in my opinion.

Not only would it reduce, as you stated, overlapping duties but would save a hell of a lot of money.

For instance, the budget for the FBI is $7.9 billion and has over 33,000 employees. The budget and employee count of both the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Security Agency, however, are classified which I find a bit disturbing.

Clem said...

16 agencies comprise the U.S. Intelligence Community

Otter Limits said...

Oh yeah! That's right! How could I forget?

Each branch of the military has its own intelligence component.

Otter Limits said...

Even more redundancy and waste in government.