Monday, July 19, 2010

Are the Declaration of Independents and The US Constitution Conservative?

I was posting a comment over on MOTW’s blog and I noticed that he had links to the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution under a section entitled “Miscellaneous Conservative Links.” I stopped, starred, and thought “huh, that’s odd.” I’m not sure that I would think of either of those documents as conservative. In fact I tend to think of them as American and neither conservative nor liberal. If I was going to label them as either, I think the fact that both were primarily written by liberals (Jefferson and Madison) would have a huge influence on my decision.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how conservatives try to claim the ideas of Thomas Jefferson. The man was a liberal in the vein of John Locke and was detested by the conservatives of his day. James Madison was Jefferson’s apprentice (for lack of a better term). These were not conservative men. Granted they have little in common with the Democrats of today, but that is more because modern Democrats and liberals have lost their way.

So are the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution conservative documents or American documents?

My vote is American.

2 comments:

Otter Limits said...

I agree that the documents are not conservative nor liberal.

You could argue actually that parts of them are liberal because the ACLU, a liberal organization (in my opinion), is always trying to protect the rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

However, on the flip side, I think when conservatives are talking about these documents being conservative they are probably referring to the fact that a strict interpretation of them is a conservative ideal. I could be wrong though.

Blogmaster said...

Good we all agree that the founding documents are politically neutral...now let us convince Obama of that.

What is you guys take on the conservative or liberal slant of the Communist Manifesto?
Did you know Marx asked Darwin to write the forward and Darwin turned him down...ha Both are humanistic views that leave God out of the eternal equation...bad choice.