Sunday, June 13, 2010

Currently Watching

Title: Zombieland (Official, IMDB, Wikipedia)

Last night my wife and I had a bit of a dinner and movie night. It was really nice…wonderful actually, and I finally got to see the truly amazing Zombieland.

Now as a general rule of thumb, I am not a fan of horror or gore (blood and guts on film, not the former vice president but I’m not a huge fan of him either actually) so there were times in this film that I had to close my eyes or look away. What distinguishes Zombieland is that the horror is an afterthought, part of the background really, and not the point of the film. The point of the film was comedy and lord it was successful at delivering.

Zombieland in a lot of ways reminds me of the Evil Dead films (Wikipedia), not in plot but in tone. This film is a must for any proper fan of cult classics.



Title: Alias Season 3 (Amazon, Wikipedia, Alias-TV.com)

A few years ago someone in a class suggested that I watch the show Alias. She even went so far as to loan me the first two seasons on DVD one summer break. It took me a while, but once I started watching, I couldn’t stop. I even got a friend at work hooked and he went out and got the rest of the series on DVD and hooked me up with the third and fourth seasons (I eventually bought, and later sold, the fifth season). At the time I plowed through all five seasons, watching the show almost obsessively.

Recently I put in season two and have been obsessively watching the show since. It doesn’t matter that I know how the series will end, the show is so bloody good that it completely sucks you in and leaves you dying to know what happens next (even if you already know). I’m now about half way through season three and I can’t wait to see what happens next!

Alias was one of the best shows of last decade. In fact it was one of the best shows that I’ve ever seen. If you like mystery, suspense, action, and super cool gadgets, then this show is for you. But it’s not all eye candy either. The show was beautifully written, directed, and acted. I really can’t recommend Alias highly enough.

No comments: